Valentina Marzia Rossi
|First Name||Valentina Marzia|
|Phone||+39 0382 985883|
|Research Gate Link||www.researchgate.net/profile/Valentina_Rossi14|
- December 2016: Ph.D., Geological Sciences. The University of Texas at Austin, Texas (USA). Dissertation: Mixed-energy shallow-marine systems with emphasis on tidal influence
- July 2011: Master Degree in Geology. Università degli Studi di Milano (Italy). Thesis: sedimentological analysis of the Miocene mixed carbonate-siliciclastic succession of the Bonifacio Basin
- December 2008: Bachelor Degree in Geological Sciences. Università degli Studi di Milano (Italy). Thesis: Geological survey of the Camisana Valley and stratigraphic analysis of the succession of the Pizzo del Diavolo Formation (Lower Permian), Lago Nero area (Italy).
- Sedimentolgy and stratigraphy of siliciclastic depositional systems, with focus on shallow marine and coastal systems
- Forward numerical modeling to unravel the sensitivity of coastal systems to changing depositional processes and environmental conditions
- Analysis of subsurface datasets (seismic, well logs and cores) to study depositional systems evolution in time and space
- Multidisciplinary approach to the study of Earth past environmental, climatic and biotic perturbations.
AWARDS AND INVITATIONS
- Top downloaded paper 2018-2019 in Wiley-Sedimentology for article Mud-rich delta-scale compound clinoforms in the Triassic shelf of northern Pangea (Havert Formation, SW Barents Sea)
- Keynote speaker: The effect of tides on morphology, stratigraphic architecture and sediment bypass in river-dominated deltas, Italian Geological Society Congress, Catania, September 2018
- Invited speaker: Quantifying mixed-process variability in shallow-marine depositional systems: why does it matter? at FORCE Conference, Stavanger, April 2018
- Invited speaker: Process variability in a sand-rich mixed-energy delta system: the Lajas Formation, Argentina at University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland, August 2014
- 1st place in the Petroleum Geology Student Contest Award, October 2017, University of Basilicata, Italian Geological Society, Shell Italia E&P, October 2017
- Honorable Mention in “Gustavo Sclocchi” Thesis Award, SPE Italian Section, Assomineraria, EAGE, December 2017
- DeFord Technical Sessions Best Speaker Award, The University of Texas at Austin, Jackson School of Geosciences, April 2017
- Winner of GSA Research Grant 10724-14, 2014
- Excellence in Research Award, Morphodynamics Research Group, The University of Texas at Austin, November 2014
- Professor Franco Forcella Award for the best field work thesis, Università degli Studi di MilanoBicocca, CNR-IDPA, Università degli Studi di Milano, February 2010.
- Main researcher for “Spatial-temporal reconstruction of the Triassic Hammerfest basin fill” project, University of Bergen, investigating sedimentological and stratigraphic aspects of Triassic deposits in the Barents Sea
- Reviewer for Sedimentology, Journal of Coastal Research, Geology, Sedimentary Geology, Basin Research, Frontiers in Earth Science
- Sessions co-chair at AAPG 2019, IAS Meeting 2019 and IAS Meeting 2021
- Organizing Committee for the 10th International Congress of Tidal Sedimentology, Tidalites 2021
- Teaching assistant at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Bergen
- Committee member for PhD evaluation, PhD Midway assessment and internal examiner for Master’s theses
- Co-supervisor of 1 BSc and 1 MSc theses, University of Basilicata
- Internship at Equinor Exploration Excellence unit, Stavanger
- Internship at Shell Technology Center – Clastic Research Team, Houston
- Field trip co-leader for Lajas Project, Neuquén Basin, for company consortium (Statoil, Woodside, VNG Norge and BHP Billiton).
- Rossi V. M., Olaussen S., Staine I. N., Gennaro M. (2020), Development of the Middle Triassic Kobbe Formation shelf-margin prism and transgressive-regressive cycles on the shelf (Hammerfest Basin, SW Barents Sea), doi:10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2019.08.043, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 111, p. 868-885.
- Zhang J., Rossi V. M., Peng Y., Steel R. J., Ambrose W. (2019), Revisiting late Paleocene lower Wilcox deltas, Gulf of Mexico: River-dominated or mixed-dominated process deltas?, doi: 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2019.05.007, Sedimentary Geology, v.389, p. 1-12.
- Rossi V. M., Paterson N. W., Helland-Hansen W., Klausen T., Eide C. (2019), Mud-rich delta-scale compound clinoforms in the Triassic shelf of northern Pangea (Havert Formation, SW Barents Sea), doi: 10.1111/sed.12598, Sedimentology, v. 66, p. 2234-2267
- Peng Y., Steel R. J., Rossi V. M., Olariu C. (2018), Mixed-energy Process Interactions Read from a Compound-clinoform Delta (paleo–orinoco Delta, Trinidad): Preservation of River and Tide Signals By Mud-induced Wave Damping, doi:10.2110/jsr.2018.3, Journal of Sedimentary Research, v.88, p. 75-90.
- Rossi V. M., Perillo M. M., Olariu, C., Steel R. (2017), Quantifying process regime in ancient mixedenergy systems: what are sedimentary structures really telling us?, doi:10.2110/jsr.2017.49, JSR, v.87, p. 1060-174.
- Rossi V. M., Longhitano S. G., Mellere D., Dalrymple R. W., Steel R. J., Chiarella D., Olariu C. (2017), Interplay of Tidal and Fluvial Processes in an Early Pleistocene, Delta-Fed, Strait Margin (Calabria, southern Italy), doi:10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2017.02.021, Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 87, p. 14-30.
- Rossi V. M., Kim W., Leva Lopez J., Edmonds D., Geleynse N., Olariu C., Steel R., Hiatt M., Passalacqua P. (2016), Impact of tidal currents on delta-channel deepening, stratigraphic architecture and sediment bypass beyond the shoreline, doi: 10.1130/G38334.1, Geology, v. 44, p. 927-930.
- Rossi V. M. & Steel R. (2016), The role of tidal, wave and river currents in the evolution of mixedenergy deltas: example from the Lajas Formation (Argentina), doi:10.1111/sed.12240, Sedimentology, v. 63, p. 824–864.