- 1997 Master’s Degree in Earth Sciences. University of Pisa, Italy. Thesis on: "Hydrogeological and hydrochemical study of the Pisa plain phreatic aquifers, with particular interest to river-aquifer relations" Graduated “summa cum laude”
- 1998 - 2005 Assignments of collaboration to projects. IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy.
- 2005 PhD in Earth Sciences. University of Pisa, Italy. Thesis on: “Hydrogeochemical precursors of seismic activity: the study of the Serchio Graben and the north-western Apuan Alps hydrothermal systems”
- 2006-2010 Post-doctoral Research Fellow. IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy “Management and maintenance of continuous automatic stations for detection of physical and physical-chemical parameters and dissolved gas in the waters of the Garfagnana, Lunigiana and Amiata monitoring networks: management and acquired data processing”.
- 2010-2011 Coordinated and continuous collaboration. IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy “Activity of acquisition, management, data processing and analysis concerning the geochemical monitoring network of the areas with the highest seismic risk of Tuscany”.
- June 2011 to date Technologist. IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy.
- Fluids Geochemistry. Study of earthquake geochemical precursors.
- Management and maintenance of continuous automatic monitoring stations for the measurement of selected physical, physical-chemical parameters and dissolved gases in natural waters.
- Setup of monitoring networks.
- Sampling and chemical analyses of dissolved gases and natural waters.
- Data series processing with statistical methods to highlight possible anomalous variations related to seismic activity.
- Study of gas-water-rock interaction processes. Multidisciplinary studies (hydrogeological, hydrogeochemical and hydrostructural) of hydrothermal systems.
- 2014 Scientific coordinator of the research "Realization of the research described in the S3 Project - Short term forecast and earthquakes preparation, DPC-INGV 2012-2021”. Cooperation agreement between National Institute of Oceanography and Experimental Geophysics, Trieste, Italy and the IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy.
- 2013 Scientific coordinator of the research “Convention for research related to the short-term prediction of earthquakes, INGV-DPC, project line S3”. Cooperation agreement between Regional Environmental Protection Agency, Emilia, Italy and the IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy
- 2012 to date Technical manager of Laboratory “Development of Geochemical Automatic Monitoring Systems”
- 2011 to date Scientific coordinator of the research “Continuation of activities about the acquisition, management, data processing concerning the geochemical monitoring network installed in the areas with the highest seismic risk of Tuscany”. Cooperation agreements between Seismic Prevention Sector of Tuscany Region, Italy and the IGG-CNR, Pisa, Italy.
- 1999 - 2005 Teaching experience: laboratory demonstrating and tutoring at undergraduate level
- L. Pierotti, F. Botti, V. D’Intinosante, G. Facca, F. Gherardi, (2015). Anomalous CO2 content in the Gallicano thermo-mineral spring (Serchio Valley, Italy) before the 21 June 2013, Alpi Apuane Earthquake (M = 5.2). Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, DOI: 10.1016/j.pce.2015.02.007
- L. Pierotti, F. Botti, S. Bracaloni, I. Burresi, M. Cattaneo, F. Gherardi (2013). Hydrogeochemistry of Magra Valley (Italy) aquifers: geochemical background of an area investigated for seismic precursors. Procedia Earth and Planetary Science 7, 697 – 700.
- R. Cioni, M. Guidi, L. Pierotti, and A. Scozzari (2007). An automatic monitoring network installed in Tuscany (Italy) for studying possible geochemical precursory phenomena. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 7, 405–416.