- Born in 1958.
- Graduated in Chemistry in 1984 at University of Florence.
- Assistant at the laboratories of Industrial Chemistry-University of Florence from 1984 to 1986.
- Winner of 4 annual scholarships at CNR from 1986 to 1989.
- CNR Researcher since 1989.
- Protection and consolidation of stone artifacts and paints.
- Interaction geomaterials-microclimate-atmospheric pollution and effects caused by conservation treatments.
- Archaeometric investigations.
- Author of more than 50 scientific articles in international journals (ISI), national journals and book chapters.
AWARDS AND INVITATIONS
- Visiting professor at Department of Chemistry - Duke University (NC, USA) in 2011, 2013 and 2014.
- Research Scholar at Department of Chemistry - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC – USA) in 1996.
- Research Scholar at Department of Chemical Engineering - North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC – USA) in 1994 and 1996.
- Scientific leader of the WP3 in the framework of the Tecon@BC Project (Innovative technologies for Conservation and Enhancement of Cultural Heritage) (POR FESR 2007-2013 – Regione Toscana) (2010-2012).
- Project leader of the Bilateral Project “Restoration methodologies of mosaic decorations in Moroccan and Italian historical buildings” between CNR Italy – CNRST Morocco (2010-2011).
- Project leader of the CNR research project “Chemical geochemical and biological methodologies and technologies supply for the conservation and enhancement of cultural assets” (Commessa INT.P10.003) from 2009 to 2011.
- Project leader of the Bilateral Project “Integrated and compared study on the degradation problems of mosaics and tiles of the Moroccan and Italian historic buildings: proposal for suitable restoration strategies” between CNR Italy – CNRST Morocco (2008-2009).
- Project leader of the CNR research project “Development of new materials and techniques for the restoration and conservation of Cultural Heritage” (Commessa PC-P03-006) from 2005 to 2008.
- Scientific leader of the CNR research project “Designing and development of materials for consolidation, aggregation and sticking – New methodologies of repair and protection of artifacts” (CNR-Special Project Cultural Heritage) from 1996 to 2000.
- Project leader of some projects with industries (CTS-Vicenza, Geal-Agliana (PT), DuPont-USA) and public or private institutions (Opera Primaziale Pisana, Soprintendenza per i Beni Storico-artistici-Provincia Autonoma di Trento, Duke University-Durham, North Carolina Museum of Art- Raleigh-USA) since 2000.
- Adjunct Professor of “Natural and Synthetic polymers in conservation” – Two year Master at University of Bologna since 2010.
- Adjunct Professor of “Natural and Synthetic polymers” - 2nd Level Degree Course at University of Bologna in 2008.
- Adjunct professor of “Chemistry of synthetic polymers” at the 2nd Level Degree Course at University of Bologna from 2004 to 2008.
- Member of the college of teachers of the PhD Program in Science for Conservation of Cultural Heritage at University of Florence since 2011.
- Co-Tutor of 3 PhD Theses and tutor/co-tutor of more than 30 Degree Theses (1st and 2nd degree level).
- Tutor of 5 internhips: 3 of IUT A - Université Paul Sabatier – Toulose III, 1 of Faculte de Chimie – Université Louis Pasteur – Strasbourg , 1 of Ecole Européenne de Chimie- Polymèeres et Matériaux – Université de Strasbourg.
- Tutor of 1 Erasmus – IUT A - Université Paul Sabatier -Toulouse III.
- Co-author of the volume “Scienza dei materiali e restauro - La pietra: dalle mani degli artisti e degli scalpellini a quelle dei chimici macromolecolari”.
- M. Camaiti, V. Bortolotti, P. Fantazzini. Stone porosity, wettability changes and other features detected by MRI and NMR relaxometry: a more than 15-year study, Magn. Reson. Chem., 53, 34–47 published online 16 October 2014 - DOI: 10.1002/mrc4163 (2015).
- M. Camaiti, M. Benvenuti, L. Chiarantini, P. Costagliola, F. Di Benedetto, S. Moretti, F. Paba, E. Pecchioni, S. Vettori. Hyperspectral sensor for gypsum detection on monumental buildings, Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, 8, S126-S131 (2011).
- M. Frediani, L. Rosi, M. Camaiti, D. Berti, A. Mariotti, A. Comucci, C. Vannucci, I. Malesci. Polylactide/Perfluoropolyether Block Copolymers: Potential Candidates for Protective and Surface Modifiers, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 211/9, 988-995, DOI 10.1002/macp.201000034 (2010).
- M. Gombia, V. Bortolotti, R.J.S. Brown, M. Camaiti, L. Cavallero, F. Fantazzini. Water vapor absorption in porous media polluted by calcium nitrate studied by time domain nuclear magnetic resonance, J. Phys. Chem. B, 113,10580-10586 (published on July 13, 2009 on http:/pubs.acs.org/doi:10.1021/jp902781f) (2009).
- S. Bugani, M. Camaiti, L. Morselli, E. Van de Casteele, K. Janssens. Investigating morphological changes in treated vs. untreated stone buildings materials by X-ray micro-CT, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 391 (4), 1343-1350 (2008).