- Born in 1958.
- Master Degree in Physics in 1982 and Research Doctorate in Physics in 1987 at the University of Torino (Italy).
- CNR employee since 1987.
- CNR Research Director since 2007.
- Director of the Institute of Geosciences and Earth Resources since 2015.
- Earth System Dynamics. Geophysical Fluid Dynamics.
- Impacts of climate and global change on surface processes.
- Geosphere-biosphere-climate interaction and ecosystem dynamics.
- Author of more than 150 papers in the international scientific literature (ISI journals).
AWARDS AND INVITATIONS
- Golden Badge Award of the European Geophysical Society (EGS) in 1997.
- Dozor Fellowship of the Ben Gurion University in 1996.
- JILA Visiting Fellowship at the University of Colorado, Boulder (USA) in 1997.
- Faculty member of the Program in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (USA) since 2005.
- Invited professor at the Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris in 2005, at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Parigi in 2008 and 2009.
- Coordinator of the EU H2020 Project "ECOPOTENTIAL" (2015-2019).
- Coordinator of the MIUR National Project of Interest "NextData" (2012-2017).
- Unit coordinator in the EU projects “Two-dimensional turbulence, vortices and geophysical flows” (1993-1995), “Variability of the North Atlantic Storm Track” (1995-1997), “Stirring and Mixing” (2002-2006), "ACQWA" (2008-2013) and several national projects (including PRIN).
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Programme TAO: Transport in the Atmosphere and the Ocean of the European Science Foundation from 1995 to 2000.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Programme Nonlinear Science of the European Science Foundation (ESF) from 1993 to 1995.
- Coordinator of the "Ecosystems" Task of the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) since 2012.
- Coordinator of the GEO Global Network on Observations and information in Mountain Environments (GEO-GNOME) since 2013.
- Coordinator of the Collaborative Program "Changes in the Hydrological Cycle" of the European Climate Research Alliance (ECRA) from 2012 to 2015.
- Vice-president for Europa of the Committee for Mathematical Geophysics of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG), from 2001 to 2007.
- Coordinator of the Interdisciplinary Working Group “Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics” of the European Geophysical Society (EGS) from 1991 to 1994.
- Associate Editor of the journal Environmental Science and Policy.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Water Resources Research of the American Geophysical Union in 2008-2009.
- Topical Editor of the journal Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, from 1993 to 1995, and from 2005 to 2009.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Survey in Geophysics from 1991 to 1997.
- Topical Editor of the journal Annales Geophysicae from 1991 to 1994.
- Founder and director of the French-Italian Summer School "Fundamental Processes in Geophyisical Fluid Dynamics and Climate" from 1994 to 2008. Organizers of several summer courses and schools.
- Lecturer in "Dynamics of Extended Systems" at the University of Torino since 2009.
- Member of the Research Doctorate in Physics at the University of Torino.
- Tutor of more than 20 Research Doctorate Theses and more than Master Degree Theses.
- Author of the volume "What is Global Warming?" and of other outreach and dissemination activities.
- M. Turco, E. Palazzi, J. von Hardenberg, A. Provenzale. Observed climate change hot-spots. Geophys. Res. Letters, 10.1002/2015GL063891 (2015).
- N.J. Balmforth, J. von Hardenberg, A. Provenzale, R. Zammett. Dam breaking by wave-induced erosional incision. J. Geophysical Research - Earth Surface, 113, F01020 (2008).
- F. D'Andrea, A. Provenzale, R. Vautard, N. de Noblet-Decoudré. Hot and cool summers: Multiple equilibria of the continental water cycle. Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L24807 (2006).
- E. Gilad, J. von Hardenberg, A. Provenzale, M. Shachak, E. Meron. Ecosystem engineers: From pattern formation to habitat creation. Physical Review Letters, 93, 098105 (2004).
- A. Provenzale. Transport by coherent barotropic vortices. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 31, 55-93 (1999).