- 1977: Scientific Lyceum diploma
- 1982: Laurea (Master Degree) cum Laude in Geological Sciences at the University of Pisa, Italy
- 1984: International School of Geochronology and Isotope Geochemistry. Gargnano (BS, Italy), CNR, University of Milano
- 1990: international course "Application of volcanology to geothermal exploration and development". Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, Geothermal Resources Council
- 1983: petrographer during the drilling of AGIP-ENEL geothermal wells “Isola di Vulcano 1” and “Mofete 9D”, Italy
- 1983-1984: geologist at the Associated Geotechnical Study, Livorno
- Since 1984: Researcher of the Italian National Research Council (CNR) at the following Institutes: International Institute of Volcanology (1984-1985), International Institute for Geothermal Research (1985-1999), Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics (1999-2001), Institute of Geochronology and Isotope Geochemistry (2001-2002), Institute for the Chemical and Physical Processes (2002-2009), Institute of Geosciences and Earth Resources (2009-)
- Isotopic geochemistry of high-temperature natural fluids in volcanic and geothermal areas (Vulcano Island, Larderello, The Geysers, Phlegraean Fields, Ischia Island)
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR OF CNR PROJECTS
- 1987: Geochemical and isotopic study of Campanian geothermal areas
- 1988-1990: Study of thermal manifestations in areas of active volcanism.
- 1996-1997: Study of the isotopic composition of geothermal fluids from zones of extensional tectonics or hot spots
- 1998: Study of the equilibria among gaseous species in high-temperature fluids and of the 34S, 2H and 18O concentration in thermal waters from Vulcano Island
- 1999: Study of the earthquake-induced variations of the chemical and isotopic compositions in fluids from Vulcano Island
- Bolognesi L., D'amore F., 1993. Isotopic variation of the hydrothermal system on Vulcano Island, Italy. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 57, 2069-2082.
- Bolognesi L., 1997. A tentative correlation between seismic activity and changes in the composition of thermal waters on Vulcano Island, Italy. Geothermics 26, 379-392.
- Bolognesi L., 1999. Comment on "Chemical features and isotopic composition of gaseous manifestations on Vulcano Island, Aeolian Islands, Italy: An interpretative model of fluid circulation”. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 63, 2467-2469.
- Bolognesi L., 2000. Earthquake-induced variations in the composition of the water in the geothermal reservoir at Vulcano Island, Italy. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 99, 139-150.
- Bolognesi L., 2011. The oxygen isotope exchange between carbon dioxide and water in the Larderello geothermal field (Italy) during fluid re-injection. Geothermics 40, 181-189.